Thursday, February 2, 2012

MIM #51 + "things my kids said" thursdays.

I so love this look.


If you're on Pinterest, you've seen graphic art with these folded banners, right?  And, now the tutorial on how to rock it, paper-style.  Thank you, Nichole Heady.


I used a few stamp sets: fancy flourishes, grunge me, rosie posie (but look!  a different flower from that set!), love lives here (sentiment), background basics: woodgrain (back of sentiment banner), and text-style II (for the vertical strip on the left side of the card).  Whew!

The ink colors are a little less numerous, but only slightly: memento brown, antique linen distress ink, fresh snow, aqua mist, spring moss, and autumn rose.

I'm telling you, my "craft table" (those are sarcastic quotation marks because I work on a tiny corner of our computer desk) was FULL.  As in, I might have knocked a few ink pads to the floor and felt terribly claustrophobic while creating this card.

I started out by stamping my flourishes, and then adding the flowers, and going back in with the ink splots wherever my eye decided they should go.



I liked the idea of the stamping being concentrated near the bottom of the card, and the banner coming up out of it.  The only thing I wish I could undo is the stitching near the top.  You know when something seems like a good idea, and your sewing machine is right there, and you go for it, and then there's no way to undo it, and you're not so sure about anything anymore?  exactly.

In other news, my card-making blog needs a little je-ne-sais-quoi that has nothing to do with card-making.  I was thinking of starting a "things-my-kids-said" thursdays" (less catchy than "wordless wednesdays" or "five for fridays," I know, but bear with me).  Here's my gem of the week:

You know you're due for another vacation when your 4 year old son holds a burnt-out bulb to his ear and yells "hey mom! I can hear the beach in there!"

Hee hee!  Anyone else have "things-my-kids-said" to share?

Thanks, in advance, for the giggles.  (or nice comments about my card.  either way.)


14 comments:

  1. Love the card, and LOVE the idea of "things-my-kids-said" thursdays". I'll be looking forward to thursdays each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful card. I can't imagine how you create such beautiful and intricate projects in such a tiny space. You are even more talented than I believed before! Wonderful combination of sets on this card. Not too much--just enough. And, I love that banner technique. I will look forward to Thursdays, to hear what funny things your kids say. Lately, my kids have not said many funny things--more like "mom, stop giving me THE LOOK"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, Joyce, you are too kind. And ps, when I was a teen, it was my mom telling me to stop giving her "the look" - lol.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty, love the background you created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GREAT! You are so SO talented, Elena!! And I love the "my kids said" idea... along the same lines, my son (18 months) has changed from calling me "mama" to "ma-hee". We make all kinds of fish jokes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma-hee!!! That's too funny! And I didn't realize our littles were so close in age - my Maia is 20 months...

      Delete
  5. P.S. No stitching regret - I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card you created with so-many-stamps-I-wish-I-had! Great banner too, Elena :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was worth the mess and all the stamps, because this is gorgeous ! Love the colors and the banner.
    Nice work when you make a mess Elena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful card! The combination of stamps and colors in the background are just gorgeous. Every detail is perfectly placed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the banner, but love the overall composition more. So harmonious! As for "things kids say," Evangelina lost her tooth this week. A front-top one. And when I asked her to smile at someone to show of the adorable gap, she insisted, "I want to keep all my cuteness for myself."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great sentiment on such a lovely card. Elena your flourish makes a great background.

    ReplyDelete