Tuesday, January 17, 2012

baby, it's cold outside.

Like, freezing.

We took the kids to play outside this weekend, and the only sane one was Maia, who just stood there in her full snow-suit, crying, because it was so cold.  10 minutes later, I scooped her up and we stayed inside watching the other weirdos climb the mounds of snow and shoot white stuff at each other for the better part of an hour.  I think it was something like -22 degrees (celcius).  Now that is cold.

Only fitting, then, that Lawnscaping should post a "winter wonderland" challenge.  And only right that I should jump on that, since I'm currently living inside a snow-globe.


I grabbed a piece of PTI guidelines grid cardstock and ran it through my die-cutter with their "take 3" die.  It left me 3 little openings into which I could stamp those adorable penguins (from Lawn Fawn's "critters in the snow".)  I did have to mask off around the squares so that the penguins didn't overlap into their neighbors' squares.  Didn't want to cause an icy riot, you know.  I then masked off the penguins as well and stamped a layer of polka dots (PTI's polka dots basics II) in a light blue ink.  I outlined the penguins with a light grey copic marker, to make them stand out a little more.

On the white mat, I stamped the igloo from the same set, outlined it with a light blue copic marker, and sponged the edges with tumbled glass distress ink.  Then, I sprayed it with a healthy layer of Mister Huey's calico white spray.  Looks like the igloo was caught in a blizzard, non?

The sentiment was white-heat-embossed onto a light blue banner, and the whole mat was mounted with foam squares onto the kraft card-base.


Thanks for peeking!

10 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love the 3 penguins peaking out of their boxes!!! Super cute card! And wow, it is cold where you are. Where I am, it maybe gets in the 40's and that is usually at night when we are sleeping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are the queen of cute and of masking. What a sweet card. I am not going to complain about our gloomy 57 degree day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great masking! Love those little penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card! Love your penguins. <3

    Lauren
    www.readysetlove.me

    ReplyDelete
  5. The penguins are the cutest! I like how you created those windows and the igloo is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I love this! This is just so cute! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh Elena!!! This is super cute and fun!!!!! I love the penguin in the frames. Thank you so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little penguins are so sweet peeking through the windows and I love how you twisted them into different positions :) Brilliant card :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute card! I love those penguins - great idea.

    ReplyDelete